Fort Tourgis is a fort in Alderney and part of the Victorian Fortifications of the Channel Islands. Alderney’s forts were built to defend the island and its harbour. The harbour was planned to accommodate the British fleet to respond to French naval power in the Channel. The fort was completed in 1855 and was the second largest fort of the island. It could accommodate 346 men and mount 33 guns. During World War Two the Channel Islands were occupied by Germany. They adapted the fort and incorporated it as part of their Atlantic Wall. They called it Stutzpunkt Türkenburg (Strongpoint Turk’s Castle).