During World War II the United States took the responsibility for the defense of Greenland. They established a number of bases with the codename Bluie. Bluie East 2 (BE-2) was an airfield and weather station near Ikateq on the east coast of Greenland.
The US Air Force started to use the airfield in 1942. Because of close mountains and strong winds it never played an important role. It was mainly used for search-and-rescue operations.
After the war Bluie East 2 lost its strategic importance and the US Air Force left the site in 1947. Most of the equipment was left behind, including thousands of fuel drums. The landing strip remained in use for ad-hoc air operations, but the rest of the site quickly fell in decline.